Partner of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Nantes, L’École de design Nantes Atlantique is a private institution for higher education dedicated to Design professions, in association with the University of Nantes.
Founded in 1988 and recognized by the State, the school is a non-profit organization.
Four core values
The school’s project is based on four values embodying our vision of design:
- The recognition of creative workers as true professionals.
- The promotion of design as a strong economic asset.
- Design as a trigger for innovation.
- Design as a practice that tackles social, economic and environmental issues in a responsible way.
Design Expertise by L’École de design
- A 3-year undergraduate program, in which students specialize in one of 8 options: Interior Architecture, Scenography, Graphic Design, Motion Design, Interaction Design, Game Design, Product Design or Transportation Design.
- A 2-year postgraduate course leading to a Master’s Degree in Design (MDes) certified by the French Ministry of Higher Education. Postgraduate choose between one of the 10 cross-disciplinary programs offered, including a 2-year curriculum in apprenticeship.
- Vocational training courses supervised by the Vocational Training Center dedicated to Creation and Industrial Innovation training center (CFA) leading to an advanced vocational diploma (BTS), a Bachelor’s Degree or an MDes degree.
- Continuing education.
- Business services and design-promoting activities.
Up to 1,465 students were registered in the fall of 2018.
An institution rooted in its territory and open to the world
Since 1998, L’École de design Nantes Atlantique has been located on the technological campus Atlanpole La Chantrerie, in the northeastern area of Nantes (France), housed in a custom-built facility thanks to the support of local authorities (Nantes Saint-Nazaire Chamber of commerce and industry, the Pays de la Loire regional authorities, the Loire-Atlantique area local council, Nantes Métropole). The only design institution in western France, the school benefits from a unique regional situation.
For ten years now, it has proactively followed an outward-looking international development policy: academic exchange programs, participation in the international association Cumulus, opening of four international studios (China Studio in Shanghai, India Studio in Pune, Brazil Studio in São Paulo, Le Studio Montréal in Canada) several international MDes & BDes programs organized in English.
L’École de design Nantes Atlantique is an active member of various academic networks and professional organizations: Conférence des Grandes Écoles (top-tier French higher education institutions), Campus France... For many years, its students have been awarded prizes in prestigious competitions. The successful careers pursued by our graduates are good proof of the quality of our teaching methods.
A center for design and innovation
L’École de design has built expertise in four socio-economic fields, combining education, experimental research, and innovation, through four Design Labs:
- READi Design Lab dedicated to digital culture
- Sustainable Cities Design Lab dedicated to the evolution of mobility and built environment
- New Eating Habits Design Lab dedicated to food systems
- Care Design Lab dedicated to health, quality of life and social innovation
Nantes, Pays de la Loire, France
São Paulo, State of São Paulo, Brazil
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Pune, Maharashtra, India