Master's Degree in Economic Criminal Law
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
EUR 84 / per credit *
Earliest start date
25 Sep 2023
* price for non-resident non-community students
What knowledge will I acquire with this Master's?
The Master's Degree in Economic Criminal Law provides specialized and multidisciplinary training, catering to lawyers engaged in the practice of Economic Criminal Law and Business Criminal Law. The program equips legal professionals with the essential tools and skills necessary to excel in this legal domain. Additionally, the Master's Degree offers ample theoretical knowledge for aspiring researchers aiming to pursue scientific work in this field.
The general objective of the Master that is proposed is to satisfy the demand for specialized and quality Postgraduate training in Economic Criminal Law, providing students with the necessary theoretical knowledge and the essential skills and abilities for the professional exercise of legal practice within the framework of Economic Criminal Law.
So that the student acquires specialized knowledge and analytical and professional skills in the field of socioeconomic crimes, investigation and expertise regarding this form of crime, principles, and foundations, and constitutional limits of economic Criminal Law.
For the satisfaction of this objective, a study plan has been designed whose subjects are oriented to the achievement of the knowledge and skills necessary to function professionally in this environment. The Master offers complete and multidisciplinary training for legal practice in this area, combining subjects with strictly criminal legal content – foundations and constitutional limits of Economic Criminal Law; questions of the general part of economic Criminal Law; socioeconomic crimes; crimes against the Public Treasury and Social Security; Sanctioning regime for the environment and land use planning; or corruption and crimes against the Public Administration, among others-,
The studies proposed in this Master's are not only a continuation of the Degree studies in Legal and Social Sciences but constitute an essential pillar to develop a professional activity in a highly complex and specialized sector that requires complementary training such as that provided by this Master. On the other hand, the Degree that is proposed allows us to satisfy the growing demand of professionals in the sector who need to update their knowledge in a subject that has undergone a profound transformation in recent years and is currently immersed in a reform process.
The completion of a classic program typically entails earning 60 ECTS credits.
Master's Degree Duration: One academic year.
- 613101 Constitutional principles and foundations of Economic Criminal Law.
- 613102 Problems of the General Part of Economic Criminal Law.
- 613103 Criminal Procedural Law. The expertise.
- 613104 Commercial Law and Analysis of Financial Statements.
- 613105 Socioeconomic crimes I: The penal protection of patrimony.
- 613106 Socioeconomic crimes II: Criminal protection of free competition, the market, and consumers
- 613107Socioeconomic crimes III: Crimes against the Public Treasury and Social Security. Criminal Labor Law. Sanctioning regime for the environment, land use planning, and historical heritage.
- 613108 Corruption and Crimes against the Public Administration.
- 613109 External Practices
- 613110 Final Master's Project
A) General Competences
- CG01 - Get a perception of the unitary nature of the Law and the necessary multidisciplinary approach to legal problems and, in particular, the problems posed by economic Criminal Law.
- CG02 - Become aware of the importance of Law as a regulatory system for social relations and, in particular, economic relations.
- CG03 - Ability to understand and use constitutional principles and values as a hermeneutic tool for the rest of the legal system and, in particular, the criminal legal system in socioeconomic matters.
- CG04 - Ability to search, knowledge, and interpretation of legal sources: legal, jurisprudential, and doctrinal.
- CG05 - Mastery of new information and communication technologies to obtain legal information.
- CG06 - Development of dialectical ability and legal argumentation and oratory techniques.
- CG07 - Development of the ability to write legal documents correctly.
- CG08 - Development of analytical skills development of critical thinking in the planning, approach and solution of legal problems.
- CG09 - Acquisition of the values and ethical principles enshrined in the Constitutional Order that should guide the exercise of any professional activity - equality, non-discrimination - and, in particular, the legal professions.
B) Specific competences
- CE01 - Acquire specialized theoretical knowledge in criminal law and economic criminal procedure, both from the perspective of the general part and of specific crimes, which allows developing the capacity for analysis and argumentation in practice.
- CE02 - Acquire the necessary theoretical knowledge to be able to understand the constitutional principles and limits that inspire the economic model designed in the Spanish Constitution and its implications for the actions of economic agents and public authorities
- CE03 - Acquire knowledge of community and international regulations regarding economic crime. CE04 - Learn to define the scope and limits of penalties in economic criminal law.
- CE05 - Acquire specific knowledge about the scope of the criminal liability of legal persons in matters of economic crimes
- CE06 - Acquire knowledge and management of the different criteria regarding the prescription of economic crimes
- CE07 - Acquire the theoretical and practical knowledge to be able to request precautionary measures in the field of economic crimes
- CE08 - Acquire the skills to distinguish the different types of appropriate economic expertise in each process
- CE09 - Acquire the ability to react quickly to the imposition of a sanction on a company for economic crimes and thus be able to write appeal documents
- CE10 - Acquire the specific knowledge necessary to proceed with the identification of the characteristics of crimes against the environment
- CE11 - Acquire the necessary knowledge to be able to recognize the different types of crimes and fraud against the Public Treasury and social security
- CE12 - Acquire the necessary knowledge to be able to write/present lawsuits or writings in crimes against the Public Administration.
- CE13 - Acquire the Analysis Capacity of the financial and consolidated statements of the companies involved in economic crime processes in order to evaluate them correctly
- CE14 - Acquire the theoretical and practical knowledge necessary to interpret and be able to use, from the criminal sphere, the accounting and financial information of a company or client
- CE15 - Acquire the necessary knowledge to be able to exercise control over the phases that are carried out in the Audit of Accounts of a company
- CE16 - Acquire the theoretical and practical knowledge necessary to identify all the existing commercial figures in our legal system
- CE17 - Acquire the necessary theoretical knowledge to be able to argue the difference between the crime of fraud and unfair administration
- CE18 - Acquire the necessary knowledge to correctly manage the defense or accusation in technological crimes and fraudulent misrepresentation
- CE19 - Acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to be able to advise a client (or the lawyer himself) in avoiding its use for money laundering and fraud.
- CE20 - Acquire the theoretical and practical knowledge necessary to manage procedures both for corporate crimes, as well as competition and against the free market
- CE21 - Acquire the necessary knowledge to be able to write and present protection actions to consumers
- CE22 - Acquire the necessary practical skills to design procedures to prevent the use of privileged information in companies, which avoid their criminal liability
- CE23 - Acquire the knowledge and skills to recognize habitual practices of crimes against social security and manage prosecution or defense proceedings against them
- CE24 - Acquire knowledge of economic crimes in the field of taxes.
- CE25 - Acquire the ability to carry out procedures against crimes of prevarication, bribery, influence peddling, embezzlement of public funds, and fraud, all of which are considered economic crimes
- CE26 - Acquire the ability to identify evidence in crimes committed by public officials
- CE27 - Acquire the necessary practical skills in the business environment to be able to put into practice the knowledge acquired in the rest of the subjects
- CE30 - Acquire the theoretical knowledge and the skills to search for bibliography, schematization, organization and drawing conclusions necessary to carry out research work successfully.
- CE28 - Acquire or develop the ability to work as a team in legal practice in the field of economic criminal law.
- CE29 - Acquire precise intellectual and emotional skills for the legal debate in matters of economic criminal law, the negotiation between different positions in the process and the conciliation between different opposing positions.
- CE31 - Acquire the capacity for written expression and public presentation of the conclusions of their research work.