LLM (Applied Law) in Common Law Practice (New Zealand) The College of Law
THE LLM (APPLIED LAW) COMMON LAW PRACTICE
The Master of Laws (Applied Law) in Common Law Practice is designed to meet the needs of the New Zealand legal profession for higher level, practice-based skills acquisition across a range of specialized practice areas.
Six of the initial subjects of this programme is also designed to equip foreign qualified lawyers with the knowledge and skills needed to pass the six subjects New Zealand Law and Practice Examination (NZLPE).
- NZLPE Part I (New Zealand Legal System) - NZLP1 Constitutional and Administrative Law Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLPE Part II (Law of Contract) - NZLP2 Commercial Contracts Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLPE Part III (Criminal Law) - NZLP3 Criminal Law Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLPE Part IV (Property) - NZLP6 Property Law Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLPE Part V (Law of Torts) - NZLP5 Personal Injury and Torts Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLPE Part VI (Equity) - NZLP7 Wills, Estates and Trusts Practice (New Zealand)
WHY A MASTER OF LAWS (APPLIED LAW)?
Our experience in Australia has shown that employers and students alike are seeking further academic study in the form of real-world legal education, rather than a theoretical focus. Being able to apply what you learned today, tomorrow means your investment is paying off immediately.
When you undertake our Applied Law LLM programme you will be undertaking practice-based tasks and assessments, not writing essays and doing exams.
You will be able to demonstrate to your current or future employer your commitment to self-development and the desire to progress in your career.
HOW TO RECEIVE A MASTER OF LAWS (APPLIED LAW)
To receive a Master of Laws (Applied Law), majoring in Common Law Practice, complete all seven subjects from the Common Law Practice stream plus a Capstone or Major Project.
If you obtained your undergraduate legal qualification in a country where English is not the primary spoken language, you will need to supply a certificate that demonstrates your English proficiency in accordance with the IELTS standard at level 8.0 (writing), 7.5 (speaking) and 7.0 (reading).
Common Law Practice Stream
Intake 1 (February 19 - May 11), Intake 2 (May 21 - August 10) & Intake 3 (August 20 - November 9) 2018
- NZLP1 Constitutional and Administrative Law Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLP2 Commercial Contracts Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLP3 Criminal Law Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLP4 Ethics and Professional Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLP5 Personal Injury and Torts Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLP6 Property Law Practice (New Zealand)
- NZLP7 Wills, Estates and Trusts Practice (New Zealand)
Intake 4, 2018 (November 19 - February 15, 2019)
- NZLP15 Major Project (New Zealand)
- All subjects offered in prior intakes
HOW TO ENROL
Complete our enrolment form online: https://www.collaw.com/learnwithus/our-programs/career-specialisation-programmes/llm-asean
To enroll online make sure you have a certified copy of one of the following:
- Transcript or graduation certificate of an academic qualification in law from any university, or
- Admission to practice in any jurisdiction, or
- Current practicing certificate from any jurisdiction.