Diploma in Legal Assistant SAIT - Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
Discover how to be an integral part of legal practice with highly specialized legal administrative skills.
In this practical two-year diploma, your instructors are lawyers and former legal assistants who show you how to assist your lawyer with important tasks on various files.
Using industry software, you develop accurate keyboarding and transcription skills and adapt your strong command of English spelling and grammar to effectively prepare various legal documents.
In your substantive courses, you master relevant terminology for corporate law, real estate law, family law, criminal law and more. You practice legal assistant tasks such as preparing a separation agreement, a criminal law file and a corporate minute book.
In your capstone course, you simulate a real law office to integrate all your legal assistant knowledge. At the end of the program, you demonstrate your professionalism and expertise to potential employers in your one-month practicum placement.
You graduate as a skilled legal assistant and are highly employable in law firms and the court system.
- Two-year diploma
- Fall start
- Laptop-based program using SAIT-issued laptops
- Includes a four-week unpaid practicum placement
- A limited number of courses available through Continuing Education
Credentials and accreditation
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will receive a SAIT Legal Assistant diploma.
The opportunity to advance your education through transfer to, within or from SAIT is available with the following universities and colleges:
- Athabasca University
- Royal Roads University
- University of Lethbridge
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT)
To be successful in this program, you should:
- Attend and actively participate in the class
- Spend six hours per week on each course, outside of regular class time
- Have a strong command of the English language along with a solid foundation in writing skills and vocabulary, which will be further developed in the program
- Have good organizational skills and attention to detail, which are necessary for the program and as a Legal Assistant
- Have strong computer skills and a keyboarding speed of 30 words per minute (strongly recommended)
- Be prepared to work in teams
- Become familiar with and adhere to SAIT's academic policies
If you are engaged in campus life and take advantage of SAIT support services, you may have a greater chance of success in SAIT's programs.
Graduates can pursue job opportunities in law firms, the court system, registries and within businesses such as oil and gas organizations.
Potential positions include:
- legal assistant
- junior paralegal
- legal administrative assistant
Related careers include:
- judicial clerk
- captioner and court reporter
Program Tuition Fee
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.