This LLM is a postgraduate programme renowned since 1971 for its outstanding quality, international character, and a carefully developed curriculum that combines international and European law, on the one hand, and academic excellence and the latest practical insights, on the other. It excels in preparing students for international legal career paths for a sustainable global society.
- Central location in Brussels, the heart of the EU: excellent research, networking and job possibilities
- Demanding, exclusively advanced master (i.e. post-graduate) level curriculum;
- Experience: offering excellence since 1971
- Perfect for the global job market: the curriculum covers the essential areas of international and European law in parallel
- Taught at the IES which, as a Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, constitutes a hub of cutting edge research and activities on the EU in an international context and is currently presided by former trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht
- The Chairs are nominated exclusively for this programme and are an international mixture of high-ranking practitioners and leading academics
- Limited class size ensures high interaction and close contacts among students and with the professors, helping create true bonds that last
- Brings together students of truly versatile international backgrounds and of outstanding quality
- Supported by the extensive expertise of our Office for Teaching, Learning and Innovation to accommodate sophisticated blended teaching methods
- Compulsory courses: these 8 courses give a broad overview of the main topics of international and European law.
- Optional courses on either Business Law, Public law, or Data Law. Since 2020, there is also the opportunity to take a special and exclusive Moot Court course.
- Master Thesis.
Who can apply?
To qualify for admission you need to have:
- a law degree (J.D., LLM or equivalent), which entitles you to practice law in your country of origin
- excellent academic results and references
- proven proficiency in English
The teaching staff is a unique mixture of renowned EU scholars, top-level EU practitioners and practicing lawyers that combine academic rigor with the latest practical insights and cultural diversity.
Applications and scholarships
Visit our website for details on how to apply.
The programme offers a number of scholarships that take the form of a reduced tuition fee. These are awarded on the basis of academic merit and financial need. Waiver applications should be submitted by 15 April at the latest.
Career & alumni
Our students are offered personalized coaching and career advice at the VUB Career Centre. Clients of the VUB Career Centre include major law firms, the European Commission, the European Parliament, European Agencies, and consultancies. We have over 1250 highly successful alumni who are now working in international institutions such as the European Union, the World Trade Organization, the International Monetary Fund, the United Nations and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, in national administrations, diplomatic services, the judiciary, as well as in major law firms, corporations and NGOs. Here are some examples!
Institute for European Studies
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 5 (1st floor)
T: +32 2 614 8051
About the School
The Institute for European Studies is an autonomous department of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. It was created in 2001 through an initiative taken by the Flemish Government. As a Jean Monnet Center ... Read More