If you’re planning a career in the legal profession, our LLB degree provides a well-rounded qualification that can be your first step towards becoming a Scots lawyer or entering other prestigious sectors.
The University of Stirling LLB offers in-depth knowledge and understanding of legal principles, theories, institutions and rules – as well as the wider social and political context in which law operates. You’ll benefit from the knowledge of our expert teaching staff, whose own research on the legal profession is widely published and feeds back into the LLB programme. You can also rest assured that everything you’re learning is in line with the highest professional standards, as our LLB Hons is accredited by both the Law Society of Scotland and the Faculty of Advocates.
Field trips give you an opportunity to experience how courts function in practice, while an optional placement in a legal organisation will equip you with a comprehensive understanding of what professional life is like. Our LLB graduates have gone on to a wide range of successful careers, and our LLB is a rigorous degree that develops important intellectual and personal skills. That’s why our graduates are attractive to employers both in the legal profession and beyond.
Top reasons to study with us
#1 Accredited by the Law Society of Scotland and the Faculty of Advocates – the professional bodies for Scots lawyers
#2 Get to know staff and fellow students quickly in a small, friendly law school
#3 Earn your LLB with this course, or over two years with our Accelerated Graduate LLB
The Stirling LLB is accredited by the Law Society of Scotland and the Faculty of Advocates, which are the professional bodies for Scots lawyers.
The main aims of the LLB are to:
- provide substantial in-depth knowledge and understanding of:
- the principles, concepts, values and substantive rules of the Scottish legal system.
- the wider context within which the Scottish legal system operates.
- the main legal institutions and procedures of the Scottish legal system.
- develop problem-solving and legal research skills, as well as more general transferable intellectual skills which are of value in the practice of law and a wide range of careers.
- provide the in-depth knowledge and understanding needed to progress to further studies in law and a career as a solicitor or in multi-disciplinary areas involving law.
- provide graduates with knowledge, understanding and skills that will provide added benefit to them as individuals, to the Scottish legal profession, and to society as a whole.
Teaching is delivered via lectures and seminars. You’ll also undertake independent research supervised by a member of staff, presenting a dissertation on a legal topic of your own choice in your final year.
Assessment is by examination and coursework.
Work placement opportunities
A popular feature of our LLB course is the opportunity to study a work placement module in Year 3. You’ll be placed with a prestigious law practice or law-related organisation, giving you a chance to link learning to practice and thought to action.
As a University of Stirling student, you’ll have the opportunity to broaden your horizons and study abroad through our well-established connections with several international universities.
Find out more about studying abroad.
Tikus Little, Faculty of Arts and Humanities
+44 (0) 1786 466416
Fees - 2018/2019
- Overseas students (non-EU) £ 12,140.00
- Scottish and EU students £ 1,820.00
- Students from the rest of the UK £9,250