The IIE Bachelor of Laws or LLB degree is a professional degree preparing graduates for work and practice in the field of law in South Africa. The degree comprises the necessary substantive legal modules required by graduates to, upon compliance with additional legislative requirements, be admitted as attorneys and advocates of the High Court of South Africa. Graduates will also be enabled to follow a variety of alternative careers in law.
The IIE LLB degree is a four-year degree. The academic year runs from February to November. The modules are delivered on a full-time basis with lectures and tutorials being scheduled during the day from Monday to Friday.
- NSC: Bachelor pass with English 60%; Maths / HG 50 % or Math Lit / SG 60 %
- NC(V): Bachelor pass with English 60%; Maths / HG 50 % or Math Lit / SG 60 %
- SC: Endorsement with English 60%; Maths / HG 50 % or Math Lit / SG 60 %
- SC(a): Bachelor pass with English 60%; Maths / HG 50 % or Math Lit / SG 60 %
- International: An USAf Exemption Certificate to degree studies and meeting the relevant Maths and English requirements. A cognate Higher Certificate or 240 credit Diploma OR an Advanced Certificate or 360 credit Diploma may satisfy the minimum admission requirements to degree studies. If discipline not cognate at least 20% of credits must be academic literacy or numeracy related.
Once you have graduated with the Bachelor of Laws and want to be eligible to practice as an attorney or advocate of the High Court in South Africa, you need to be a citizen or permanent resident of South Africa.
The IIE Bachelor of Laws degree is accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE) and is registered by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) as a 540- credit qualification on level 8 (SAQA ID: 101647).
Careers include, but are not limited to:
In keeping with the purpose of professional Bachelors’ degrees, this program will also enable graduates (who may also have obtained admission as an attorney or advocate) to apply a well-rounded theoretical and practical knowledge base and professional entry practice across a broad range of alternative specializations, careers, enterprise types and industries in both the public and private sectors. Career opportunities for graduates of this degree exist in, amongst others:
- Legal Advisor at one of the Chapter 9 Institutions
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Community law advising / Advice office advisor
- Corporate governance
- Corporate legal advising
- Divorce and family-law mediation
- General commercial mediation
- Legal advisor in the public sector
- Legal education / Academia
- Legal researcher
- Legal writer or editor
- Non-governmental organization legal advising
Teaching and Learning Strategy
At The IIE’s Varsity College we are proud of and passionate about our shift away from the ‘traditional lecturing’ methodology to our blended-learning strategy – the VCBlend.
This blended-learning strategy extends learning beyond the confines of the classroom and creates opportunities for our students to work collaboratively, with peers and their educators, to construct their understanding of concepts. Student engagement is supported by the use of a learning management system (LMS) and the online learning materials that have been developed to underpin our teaching strategy.
Due to the VCBlend approach, you will be expected to spend time conducting your own research, study for assessments, and work on assignments. To gain the most from the blended learning experience, VC’s Wireless classrooms and campuses, students are required to BYOT (Bring Your Own Technology) such as mobile devices, netbooks, laptops or tablets, so as to develop the necessary academic and digital literacies over the three years of this degree
This student-focused approach compels our students to be accountable for their learning while developing the critical skills they will need to thrive in the rapidly changing 21st-century work environment.
As such, academic life for our students is dynamic, challenging, and relevant.
About the School
The Independent Institute of Education is South Africa’s largest registered and accredited private provider of higher education. The IIE Varsity College, a brand of The IIE, leads in the provision of ... Read More